India offers electronic visas to citizens of over 150 countries including citizens of Australia. Find out more about the India tourist visa and how it will affect Australian citizens.
Yearning to see the wonders of Jaipur and Agra while indulging in the best street food India has to offer but dreading applying for a Indian Visa for Australian Citizens at an Indian embassy or consulate? Well, you’re in luck. Gone are the days of long queues and tedious paperwork. All you need is an internet connection and a few minutes.
Here’s everything you need to know about obtaining an India visa online as an Australian citizen and where it can be used.
Do Australian Passport Holders Require a Visa to Visit India?
Australian citizens require a visa to enter India. Luckily, Australians qualify for Indian electronic visas.
Online Indian Visa Options
There are three types of visas available for Australian passport holders to obtain online. Depending on your reason for visiting India, you will need one of these:
- Tourist visa.
- Business visa.
- Medical visa.
This post will focus on the e-tourist visa. You can read our guide to the India business visa or India medical visa for more information if you need those visas.
Applying for an Indian Tourist Visa as an Australian
The Indian Tourist eVisa is issued electronically by the Indian Ministry of Foreign Affairs to those who qualify. For Australian passport holders, there are three different tourist visa options:
- 30-day, double-entry e-tourist visa.
- 1-year, multiple-entry e-tourist visa.
- 5-year, multiple-entry e-tourist visa.
Who can apply for an Indian visa online?
Only those with valid travel documents (a valid passport) can apply online for the Indian e-visa. Those who have refugee travel documents, among others, will need to contact the nearest Indian embassy or consulate.
Please note that the e-visa is also not available to Diplomatic or Official passport holders or Laissez-passer travel document holders. Applicants holding emergency or limited passports will also need to contact an embassy.
Visa application process for all Indian tourist visa options
If you qualify for the e-visa, then you can apply Indian Visa for Spanish Citizens. We understand how stressful the application process can be and have therefore simplified it into just three steps:
1. Fill out your general information and double-check that all the information is correct.
2. Choose the preferred processing time and pay the processing fee.
3. Upload supporting documents and a photo then submit the application.
Our team will take it from there and process the application for you. We will email your visa to you once it is approved.
Documents required to get an Indian visa for Australian citizens
In order to submit your application, you will need to provide the following supporting documents:
- Passport: Scan of the last page of your passport (if requested).
- Recent passport photo (you can use the iVisa passport photo service to obtain one).
- Credit or debit card to make the payment.
- You may be asked to provide details about your stay, including accommodation information.
Cost and processing time of the Indian e-tourist visa
We know the application process might be tedious, so we’ve simplified said application and offer three processing options depending on how quickly you need your visa. The cost will depend on the processing time and the type of visa you plan to apply for.
Here is a breakdown of the different prices:
The 30-day Double entry e-tourist visa
- Standard processing takes 5 days and costs USD $86.49.
- Rush processing takes 3 days and costs USD $86.49.
- Super Rush processing takes 36 hours and costs USD $86.49.
The 1-year e-tourist visa
- Standard processing takes 5 days and costs USD $101.99.
- Rush processing takes 3 days and costs USD $159.99.
- Super Rush processing takes 36 hours and costs USD $234.99.
The 5-year e-tourist visa
- Standard processing takes 5 days and costs USD $146.04.
- Rush processing takes 3 days and costs USD $200.04.
- Super Rush processing takes 36 hours and costs USD $266.04.
Note: All of the above prices include the government fee and the iVisa processing fee.
Which Points of Entry Accept the eVisa?
According to Indian government officials, the e-Visa will only be accepted at:
- 28 airports, which are: Ahmedabad, Amritsar, Bagdogra, Bengaluru, Bhubaneshwar, Calicut, Chennai, Chandigarh, Cochin, Coimbatore, Delhi, Gaya, Goa, Guwahati, Hyderabad, Jaipur, Kolkata, Lucknow, Madurai, Mangalore, Mumbai, Nagpur, Port Blair, Pune, Tiruchirappalli, Trivandrum, Varanasi, and Visakhapatnam.
- 5 seaports, namely Cochin, Goa, Mangalore, Mumbai, and Chennai.
Note: You may not use an e-visa at any Indian land border. However, you may leave India from any of the authorized Immigration Check Posts (ICPs) in India.
India is currently open for tourism however, all visitors entering the country must fill out the mandatory India Self Declaration form.
What is the India self-declaration form
Like many countries, India introduced a health screening travel document during the pandemic called the India Self-Declaration. The form is mandatory for all arriving visitors to the country and is simply a means of tracking contact and health information of travelers. The document does not replace a visa or other travel authorizations you may need.
Apply for the India self-declaration form
In our attempt to help streamline all the paperwork you will need to prepare for the trip, iVisa allows you to apply for the Self Declaration form with your visa application. You will need to fill out our short application form with essential data about yourself, your trip, and your medical condition and attach a negative COVID-19 PCR test that has been taken within 72 hours of your arrival in India.
Fully vaccinated travelers will need to provide proof of vaccination and will then be exempt from the pre-departure COVID-19 test. Remember that the COVID-19 protocols may change on short notice, thus we advise checking your airline and relevant government websites for updates before your trip.
If you have any questions, please contact our customer service team or check our India landing page or visa checker tool to explore all the different document options we offer. However, if we’ve answered all your concerns already, use our application form and get ready for your trip to the land of spice.
What are the requirements to obtain Indian Visa from Australia
The requirement for Australian citizens are to have the following ready for India eVisa:
- Email Id
- Credit/Debit Card or Paypal Account
- Ordinary Passport that is valid for 6 months
How long does it take for Australian citizens to fill out an online form
The Indian Visa for Australian citizens can be completed in matter of few minutes via an online form. Once the payment has been made, additional details that are requested depending on the type of Visa can be provided by email or uploaded later also take between 2-3 minutes to complete.
How soon can Australian citizens expect to get an electronic Indian Visa (eVisa India)
Indian Visa from Australia is available within 3-4 business days at the earliest. In certain cases rush processing can be attempted. It is recommended to apply India Visa at least 4 days in advance of your travel.
Once the electronic India Visa (eVisa India) has been delivered by email, it can be saved on your phone or printed on paper and carried in person to the airport. There is no need to visit the embassy or Indian consulate.
Keep in mind that the visa fee is non-refundable if you decide to cancel your appointment or if your visa application is rejected.